Thursday, April 10, 2014

Eggless Date and Walnut Cookies

Dates and Walnuts, a great combination indeed I thought!  I have browsed through many recipes on Divine Taste, and this recipe on date and walnut cookie (made with butter) caught my attention. I had made date cake an year before, and had used oil for date cake. I thought I can try to substitute oil for butter, and also use little milk to bind the dough for these cookies.  S tasted these cookies, and told me to bake these again. So, I believe these cookies passed the test in taste, and texture. These are indeed healthy cookies once I adjusted the quantity of butter. But please note one still needs to eat any snack in moderation. A few times I had some cookies left in my jar when some friends visited us. Whoever tasted these cookies, asked what are these cookies made of.  These cookies have the perfect sweetness, and the added crunch from the walnuts. I had baked these cookies many times, however did not get to post the recipe. I had this cookie recipe in my draft for a while now, and felt motivated to post it after a friend of mine asked for the recipe, Bingo!


Ingredients Adapted from Divine Taste

1 Cup  whole wheat flour
1 cup  dates, chopped (dates take a little time to chop, and I use kitchen knife and cut these on cutting board)
1 Cup  walnuts, chopped (I place the walnuts on cutting board, and use rolling pin to chop)
1 stick butter, melted (original recipe has 2 sticks of butter) OR  OR 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup oil + 2 Tablespoon Butter 
2-3 Tablespoon Milk (helped to make smooth dough)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda



Method
( Preheat the oven to 350 F while you prepare the cookie dough)
1. Line the baking tray with parchment paper
2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together once.
3. Mix in the chopped dates and walnuts. Stir in the sugar into the melted butter when the butter is hot.
4. After the butter reaches room temperature or cools down, stir in the flour mixture. (Note: I did not heat the oil, used half oil and half butter)
5. Mix the ingredients together until well combined, Add 2 Tablespoon butter to bring the dough together.
6. Make balls with your hands and flatten the balls with your palm.
7. Bake at 350 degree F or 180 C for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment